Friday, July 5, 2024

Back at it

First time back in the shop in two years, and I'm pretty pleased. I spent yesterday sketching projects I want to try this year, and today I finally lit the torch. And I started none of those projects. I want to knock the dust off, literally and figuratively. So basic soldering, shaping, a little pick soldering. The latter isn't, to the best of my knowledge, period, but until I make my own solder powder, it's what I sometimes need to do with chips. 

Making my own solder is in the cards for this year, I just need a graphite rod, some powdered borax, and a crucible. I have the raw materials already. I'm a little nervous about soldering with just an alloy of silver and copper, but I'm trusting the process. Worst case scenario, after I try it a few times, I can melt it back down and add some zinc if I don't like it as is. I'm really game to try it, though. It worked for medieval goldsmiths.

For now, these are imperfect, but I'm not trying for perfection. I'm just working on progress. (These are also desperately in need of cleaning, and that's going to be a job for the flex shaft, which needs an extension cord.)

No comments:

Post a Comment